Battery solutions for transportation
Leclanché is leading the market with technologies for transportation applications. Our two lithium ion technologies offer very distinct capabilities enabling to design battery systems that are optimally geared for the application of the customer.
Lithium Titanate Oxide – high power
In most transportation applications a lot of power is needed for instant, short term traction and torque. To provide this in an electrical vehicle a battery has to be able to rapidly discharge and provide the energy for this torque.
Leclanché’s Lithium Titanate Oxide (LTO) batteries are best suited for this.
Lithium Graphite/NMC – lots of energy
For longer travel distances a lot of energy is needed. Once the vehicle is in motion, a battery that can gradually and efficiently discharge it’s energy to the drivetrain is the needed solution.
For this Leclanché provide its Lithium Graphite/NMC (G/NMC) batteries which have a high energy density.
Design with our customers
In each project a specific design for the battery system has to be made. Leclanché has an experienced team of engineers and specialists who work with our customers to design the battery pack optimised for their application and fitting in the available space in the vehicle. Through the whole design-in process we support our customers coming to the best solution.
Energy storage solutions for transportation
A key component in the powertrain electrification is on-board electrical energy storage, which is usually a battery. The battery works as an energy buffer in hybrid vehicles, and as a single energy source in full-electric vehicles. The most suitable of the modern battery technologies is lithium-ion that can be optimized for required energy and power. Leclanché can provide a high power option (LTO) and a high energy option (G/NMC) with the same form factor and a revolutionary hybrid battery that combines both of them.
The most optimal battery cell chemistry is determined by the discharge and charge power requirements (operating strategy) as well as ambient conditions. In a full electric bus driving can usually be done with an energy-type cell, but a power-type cell (LTO) is often more feasible due to the operating strategy. A single bus can operate a full shift with a relatively small battery if the battery is charged at bus stops or at the bus terminal.
- Full-electric bus delivered to De Lijn in Belgium: website: http://www.paneuropeannetworks.com/special-reports/the-future-is-electric/
Energy storage solutions for Industrial machinery
Leclanché’s lithium-ion battery solutions offer unparalleled energy density and performance for electric and hybrid applications while offering at the same time advanced safety and reliability. Our solutions remain highly efficient without adding unnecessary weight and our modular design ensures the optimal use of all available space in the machine. Excellent lifetime and fast charging provide compelling cost of ownership.
Leclanché is thus able to provide comprehensive energy storage solutions for industrial machines such as AGVs, forklifts, material handling equipment, and special working machines. Our systems offer a range of benefits and functionalities: energy regeneration in cyclic load profiles, emission-free and silent operation, optimization and downsizing of the prime mover and improved maneuverability.
The most optimal battery cell chemistry is determined by the discharge and charge power requirements, as well as ambient conditions. Leclanché provides two lithium-ion battery technologies within the same form factor: Lithium Titanate Oxide (LTO) a high power battery and Lithium Graphite/NMC (G/NMC) a high energy battery. A Leclanché battery system may be adapted to any machine equipped with an electric powertrain.
Leclanché energy storages can be fitted as a plug-in lead-acid replacement for both forklifts and other lifting equipment. The use of Leclanché lithium-ion batteries will increase operating time and efficiency, reduce maintenance costs and increase the longevity of the system. Thanks to its fast-charging capability, a lithium-ion battery does not require battery swapping, thus eliminating the need for maintenance area.
Diesel machines in mines require active ventilation of exhaust emissions. The use of battery electric powered mining machines can significantly reduce this need, as well as lower energy consumption and noise. In addition, a vehicle equipped with an electric powertrain has a superior maneuverability, which in turn increases safety and productivity.
Energy efficiency, reliability and safety are key assets when using Leclanché battery systems in material-handling machines. An energy storage enables power regeneration during load-lowering and braking, allowing it to be used to power other operations. Combining a battery with a hybrid diesel-electric drive, e.g. in a rubber-tired gantry crane (RTG), results in remarkable fuel savings. A start-stop system can be also used to avoid the unnecessary use of a prime mover.
Solutions for industrial use
Along with Leclanché’s own cell manufacturing and advanced battery management systems, the modular design of our packs and systems enables easy adaptation to a wide range of industrial machines. Business operations and the environment will both benefit from increased fuel economy and operation efficiency. Finally, by substantially reducing the use of fossil fuels in industrial machinery, solutions will lower the overall cost of ownership.
Energy storage solutions for marine applications
The marine market continues to rely on traditional propulsion power systems, which no longer fulfil the requirements for the clean and efficient use of energy. New emission and noise regulations prohibit the use of conventional solutions in ports, natural reserves, special marinas, and other low-emissions or low-noise areas. Leclanché battery solutions in diesel-electric or full-electric systems offer substantial savings thanks to reduced diesel / oil consumption as well as decreased maintenance and service costs. High safety, availability and efficiency are further essential reasons to rely on Leclanché battery solutions in all marine applications.
Our storage system has multiple functions:
- acts as a small uninterrupted power supply (UPS) for emergency back-up for critical equipment such as navigation, lights, steering and firefighting;
- acts as a large UPS for silent vessel operation;
- offers an alternative contingency reserve (replace spinning reserve as hot standby)
- provides power boost energy storage for short term vessel pull power or top speed vessel operation;
- allows peak shaving for economy of operation;
- acts as green energy storage with a secondary fuel tank for wind, solar, hydro or shore power; and
- allows for battery-only operation for short to medium distances.
Electric and hybrid ferries
Leclanché energy storages fit both AC-grid and DC-grid solutions. The use of batteries will reduce fuel consumption and emissions both in electric and hybrid ferries. New lighter and more efficient hull design concepts, along with space and weight savings, allow for the use of full-electric propulsion over longer distances. Additional advantages include the flexibility to reduce the number of diesel engines required at any given time in hybrid ferries, and to run the vessels for an extended period in full electric mode. Leclanché is also the perfect partner for ferry projects, providing long-life, highly safe batteries capable of slow or fast shore charging.
Work and cargo vessels
Combining batteries with a diesel-electric propulsion system provides several advantages in work and cargo vessels:
- batteries enable downsizing the prime mover thanks to peak shaving;
- batteries provide increased power for a limited time to support pull and towage;
- the lowest possible noise level, particularly in cargo vessels when discharging the cargo, e.g. in residential areas or ports at night;
- reduction in maintenance costs; and
- the battery bank can be charged at ports.
Super yachts and commercial vessels
In the yachting industry and on commercial vessels, such as water buses, batteries can offer many advantages depending on the sailing speed and range. These vessels are often equipped with an electric propulsion system that can be modified to a series hybrid by adding a battery bank. This offers a silent propulsion mode and anchoring without running diesel generators, as well as redundancy in case of engine failure. Yachts sailing on mid-speed range batteries can support the hotel grid, allowing the auxiliary generator to remain switched off. At low speed, the vessel can also be powered exclusively by the battery bank.
Solutions for marine use
In addition to its standard solutions, Leclanché’s integration know-how offers customized battery systems for shipyards, system integrators, vessel designers, operators, and other marine applications. We provide the most optimal solution for the use to guarantee high performance and long lifetime with highest safety on board.
Our marine team can optimize the battery management system for marine usage, and obtain necessary marine certifications and approvals for the entire battery system. Designing mechanics and thermal management systems for harsh marine conditions is a part of our core competence.
AGV and Robotics
Leclanché fast charging high power battery packs for AGVs
Innovative companies look at automating material handling to improve efficiency and decrease operational costs. But the batteries used in these automatically guided vehicles have been far from innovative. Lead acid technology hasn’t evolved much in the last century, but with the introduction of lithium-ion amazing new concepts of energy storage are available.
Leclanché lithium titanate oxide (LTO) technology is perfectly suited for AGVs resulting in ultra-fast charge batteries.
A full recharge in less than 9 minutes!
AGV and robotics applications help to reduce recurring tasks typically performed by humans. Our customers have the challenge to design systems with a minimum of space, the lowest possible costs and the highest reliability. With our ultra-fast charging technology the efficiency of each vehicle increases and optimizes the available surface for key operations. We offer a solution that achieves the fastest payback time for the initial investment and operational expenses.
Our specialists can help you optimize the required system requirements for battery, charger, docking station and service level agreement including remote management.
Battery chemistry comparison
In the table below we compare 4 different battery chemistries for energy storage.
|Size & Weight||★★☆☆☆||★★★☆☆||★★★★☆||★★★★★|
|Energy Regeneration Capability||★★☆☆☆||★☆☆☆☆||★★★☆☆||★★★★★|
*PSOC = operating batteries in partial state of charge can cause premature capacity loss
A system solution has 4 main components:
- Due to the smaller size of the lithium-ion batteries we can fit our components inside any material handling machine easily.
- Because of the ultra-fast charging time, a big capacity is not required. Typically a few hours of autonomy is sufficient to bridge peak demand.
- Whereas lead acid batteries have an energy round-trip efficiency of 70%, lithium-ion is above 90% efficient. This means a 20% gain in your electricity bill.
- With less than 9 minutes of charging for a full recharge, time on charge is typically less than 1 hour/day.
- We charge our batteries at 6C, this means a 60Ah battery is charged at 360A.
- A typical machine to charger count ratio is 6:1.
- The chargers are controlled via CAN by the battery, offering a perfect charge.
- Due to the high charge current, robust and long life, connection solutions are required. In close cooperation with our partners we developed 2 conductive solutions.
- These allow fully automatic bottom, side, top, front and back docking.
- With the appropriate protection the docking stations can even be used for manual docking in case the machine can also be operated by a human driver.
- The battery pack comes with an on-board controller that relays all the required information to the AGV controller via CAN, Ethernet, RS232/485 or Bluetooth. It logs all relevant operation data and uses a local Wi-Fi connection for bidirectional communication with our server.